The alarming number of children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders in recent years has increased significantly fro1 in 150 in 2000 to 1 in 68 by 2012 according to estimates from CDC’s Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network.
Due to that increase, more and more parents have turned to alternative forms of treatments to counteract the underlying symptoms of autism. Traditional medicines have often failed at producing desired results for many patients with autism and their families. However, studies have demonstrated Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) as an emerging treatment that parents and physicians are utilizing to help to improve cognitive, physical, mental and behavior functions of children in Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Studies have demonstrated the following benefits of HBOT for Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Enhance Brain Healing and Repair with Oxygen Therapy for Autism
- Increases oxygen delivery to hypoxic tissues
- Reduces neuroinflammation
- Moderates mitochondria dysfunction
- Promotes growth and development of new nerve tissue or neurogenesis
- Stimulates Stem cell proliferation and mobilization
- Reduces Seizure Frequency
- Supports Neuroplasticity or Re-wiring of the brain
HBOT Autism Therapy may improve physical, mental, behavioral functions
- Promotes receptive/expressive language
- Improves movement and walking
- Stimulates better eye contact
- Improves gross/fine motor skills
- Improves sensory/cognitive awareness
- Increases attention span and alertness
- Improves sleep pattern
- Advances social skills and interaction
- Reduces aggression
In 2009, a multi-center, randomized, controlled, double-blind trial was published in BMC Pediatrics, investigating the introduction of HBOT with 56 children diagnosed with ASD, ages 2-7. The study consisted of six separate HBOT centers that treated 30 children with 40 one hour sessions over the course of four weeks; whereas the remaining 26 children underwent sham treatment. Upon completion of this study, the treatment group experienced 80% improvement in overall functioning, receptive language, social interaction, and eye contact significantly. Major improvements were observed in irritability, stereotypy, hyperactivity, speech and sensory/cognitive awareness. Hyperbaric treatment was confirmed safe and well tolerated by the children and their parents in both groups.
Read “Hyperbaric treatment for children with autism: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial”.